Vote Protection . Gearing Up!!!
Peter Vos
2004-10-20 04:24:31 UTC
From: Bev Harris, Andy Stephenson, www.blackboxvoting.ORG (NOT .com)
- Oct 20-22 ‘04
Re: Cleanup Crew

We are gearing up for the Nov. 2 Election. Here are today’s action items
for Black Box Voting -- simple, easy to do and will give all groups
information on what volunteers can and cannot watch on Election Night in
each county.

A quick toot for other groups:
* www.voteprotect.org -- recommended as comprehensive database for
reporting problems
* www.VoteWatch.org -- recommend participating in polling results and
Mystery Voter projects
* www.VerifiedVoting.org -- recommend TechWatch program
* Let us know what your group is doing, and we’ll toot you the next time
around

Black Box Voting: http://www.blackboxvoting.ORG (“.com” not related to
us)

1. Check out the Cleanup Crew election monitoring list -- practical,
effective vote-protection ACTION MENU for pre-election, Election Day,
Election Night, post-election:
http://www.BlackBoxVoting.org/?q=node/view/1196

The page also contains a MAP OF PROBLEM LOCATIONS in the U.S., based on
“voter-unfriendly behavior” by public officials.

2. CAN YOU HELP? We need your help with a quick “Visitation Rights”
project. Find out ahead of time what access citizens will get they get
when they show up to observe vote-counting in each county, identify
problem counties.

- Go to Black Box Voting (.ORG). Check out Cleanup Crew info, then go to
CLEANUP FORUM (http://www.blackboxvoting.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi)
- Pick a state.
- E-mail each county the "Visitation Rights?" letter.
- This letter pins down what observers can or cannot watch, whether
videotaping is allowed
- You’ll find the letter in the “TOOL KIT” at the top of the Cleanup Crew
Forum. Contact info is under each county.
- You do not need to live in the county or state to help. We need help e-
mailing letters to as many officials as possible, as soon as possible.
- To avoid duplication of effort, when you send, post update immediately
in the Cleanup forum
- Answers from county officials are getting posted in the forum where
everyone can see them.
- Some counties, like Riverside County CA and Winnebago County IL, may be
targeted for litigation or other actions, because they do not allow
observers for certain key functions.

======================

Now for a quick change of subject: Two quick points for Nov. 2:

1 - When people ask, “Do you think there will be problems with the
machines on Nov. 2” the answer is, “I expect there will be problems by
Nov. 12.” Voting machine miscounts typically are not seen until the
canvass. The canvass (audit) will take place from Nov. 3-12.

2 - Candidates need to stop conceding the election on Election Night.
Tell your local political committees and candidates to hold off on their
concession -- there is no reason to hurry, and there are legitimate
reasons to wait:
- We expect an unusual number of provisional ballots this time.
Provisional ballots are not included in media projections.
- Voting machine miscounts typically do not appear until the canvass.
Error rates can be high, and can even flip the totals. Broward County, FL
2002: 103,000 votes were missed altogether the first time around. Gretna
County Nebraska, all “yes” votes were recorded as “no.” Al Gore privately
conceded to George Bush in 2000, based on an erroneous “minus 16,022
votes” from the GEMS central tabulator which caused the networks to call
the election incorrectly. Urge candidates not to concede on projections
or unaudited results.

WISH LIST: Can you help?
- Seattle office space needed for 4 week election blitz, immediately.
- Our search function doesn’t work on the BlackBoxVoting.org Web site.
Can anyone help?
- We need donations to pay copying for a blitz of upcoming Freedom of
Information requests, which will document many incidents not revealed by
elections officials on Nov. 2. We need to raise $10,000 for this in short
order.
- A lawyer is needed for Riverside to file an injunction to force them to
allow observation of central tabulator and vote handling. They are
currently in violation of California state law by refusing this.
- We need Frequent Flyer miles donations for on-site investigations after
the election
- We need hotel stays for on-site investigations after the election
- Grunt work request -- some states on the Cleanup Forum don’t have
counties broken out, and still need contact information. Texas has over
200 counties. A boring task, and we’ll love you forever if you jump in on
this one.
Nicholas Byram
Nothing about the danger of fraudulent voters. Why not?
Peter Vos
2004-10-22 17:31:49 UTC
From: Bev Harris, Andy Stephenson, www.blackboxvoting.ORG (NOT .com)
- Oct 20-22 '04
Re: Cleanup Crew
We are gearing up for the Nov. 2 Election. Here are today's action items
for Black Box Voting -- simple, easy to do and will give all groups
information on what volunteers can and cannot watch on Election Night in
each county.
* www.voteprotect.org -- recommended as comprehensive database for
reporting problems
* www.VoteWatch.org -- recommend participating in polling results and
Mystery Voter projects
* www.VerifiedVoting.org -- recommend TechWatch program
* Let us know what your group is doing, and we'll toot you the next time
around
Nothing about the danger of fraudulent voters. Why not?
I presume because fraudulent voters compromise the elections in a
retail manner, where as fraudulent counting compromises the elections
in a wholesale manner.

Both are problems. One is potentially much bigger than the other. So
they are focusing on the larger problem.
Dr. Feelgood
2004-10-22 17:48:25 UTC
Post by Peter Vos
From: Bev Harris, Andy Stephenson, www.blackboxvoting.ORG (NOT .com)
- Oct 20-22 '04
[...]
I'd say that when a state has more registered voters than the voting age
population of that state it is a very serious problem. Several states have
counties and cities with the same problem within their borders. There are
record numbers of dead people registered to vote this election season.
considering how close the 2000 election was I think this is a dangerous
situation with the security of our country at stake. In California alone
there are more than 100,000 illegal aliens registered to vote this year. All
efforts to have voters in many areas show proof of citizenship or residence
in many states have been thwarted. These are a few problems this voter feels
need to be addressed but it is to late to do so before this election. At the
current known rate of fraudulent registrations I think this has far exceeded
the "retail" rate you refer to. Very possibly to the extent this exceeds the
possibility of fraudulent counting effecting this election. Reps from both
sides will after all be watching the count to keep it as fair as possible.
garbaman
2004-10-22 02:01:56 UTC
What we got under 4 years of Republicans in control:

A clown with RECORD days out of office/gone fishin' in 6-mo period before
9/11
9/11 with RECORD number of Americans killed in a single hit on American soil
RECORD deficit from a RECORD surplus
RECORD job losses
RECORD gas prices in the past 15 years
RECORD number of Americans killed in a foreign war since Vietnam
RECORD number of Americans being beheaded - on video!
Worst flu vaccine crisis on the RECORD
The Abu Ghraib scandal
RECORD number of Arabs hating US
RECORD number of allies who sit on the fence until the bozo is replaced
200 BILLIONS WASTED in Iraq
RECORD tax cuts for corporations and wealthy
RECORD prices for drugs and health care
RECORD number of jobs moved overseas

Well, I have to go to bed so I will stop here ...to be continued tomorrow ..
..it is MUCH TOO MUCH!